Tax Information For U.S. Student Fulbright Grantees

Fulbright grants are subject to U.S. income taxes. However, neither the Institute of International Education nor the Department of State are required to issue a 1099 or W2, nor to withhold taxes from grant payments.

The Fulbright Grant Authorization document which you signed before starting your grant should outline the funds you received during your grant period. For those of you who had your checks deposited into a bank account, you can also check your bank statements to see how much was deposited in any given year. Remember, you only need to declare the amount issued during the calendar year, January 1 to December 31.

IRS information on tax filing for Fulbright Grantees can be found here.

Please note that IIE staff members are not permitted to give tax advice. If you are still uncertain about your tax obligation, we encourage you to contact the IRS directly or speak with a tax professional.