Fulbright U.S. Student Program

East Asia-Pacific

IIE Program Manager

For information on programs in the East Asia-Pacific Region, contact:

Jonathan Akeley



Regional Fact Sheet

East Asia-Pacific Program Information

The countries listed are those in which it is anticipated that grants will be available for the 2015-2016 program year. If the country that you are interested in is not listed then currently there is no Fulbright U.S. Student Program in that country.

English Teaching Assistant Programs:

Available in Indonesia, Korea, Laos, Macau, Malaysia, Mongolia, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam. Knowledge of local language not required prior to arrival.

Language requirement:

Varies by country. Please review the program summary.

Multi-country proposals:

Multi-country applications will only be accepted for Fulbright-National Geographic Digital Storytelling applicants.

Grants not available to:

Cook Islands.

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.